During the final fourteen months of the Civil War, Andersonville Prison was a Confederate prisoner-of-war camp. The mass graves of more than 12,000 prisoners became a national cemetery in 1865. In 1878 the original wooden markers were replaced with marble headstones, otherwise little has changed here since the Civil War.
• Featured in the Cemeteries and Graveyards group, January 10, 2022.
January 8th, 2020
Viewed 269 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/08/2023 at 1:16 AM